The Office of Community Relations works to build and maintain relationships between UIC and its neighboring communities. The office works with local civic, corporate and community organizations in addition to supporting internal constituents. The Office of Community Relations serves as a platform for internal and external stakeholders to exchange ideas. Community Relations promotes local and regional economic development through raising awareness about opportunities. Community Relations works to engage all partners in helping UIC pursue its mission as a leading urban public research institution and the University of Illinois for Chicago.
- Maintaining and cultivating community partnerships
- Promoting local and regional economic development
- Coordinating business engagement
- Faculty expert facilitation for external constituents
- Special programs and initiatives
- Community calendar
- Community newsletter
- Advising senior leadership on community issues
To partner with Community Relations, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsible for UIC’s digital communications strategy and branding. The team manages the university’s home page, uic.edu, as well as other top-level pages.
In partnership with ACCC, Digital Communications manages and supports the Red WordPress multisite, the primary resource for creating and managing UIC websites.
- RED WordPress multisite: site creation, launch, support and training
- Support and guidance for best practices of design, content, navigation and accessibility on UIC websites
The UIC Office of Public and Government Affairs, in collaboration with the University of Illinois Office of Government Relations, supports the advocacy efforts of the UI President and UIC Chancellor at the local, county, state, and federal levels. The office provides support for legislative efforts and strengthens relationships with government stakeholders. The office also collaborates with Illinois Connection, the University of Illinois Alumni Alliance’s legislative advocacy network, on a range of advocacy-related projects.
UIC, located on the near west side of Chicago, works closely with Mayor Rahm Emanuel and its four representatives on the Chicago City Council – 27th Ward Alderman Walter Burnett, 28th Ward Alderman Jason Ervin, 25th Ward Alderman Daniel Solis, and 11th Ward Alderman Patrick Thompson. The Mayor and aldermen work with UIC on community and economic development initiatives that benefit the city and its residents.
At the county level, UIC regularly collaborates with the office of Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. The university is located within Cook County’s 2nd District, represented by Commissioner Dennis Deer.
As an urban-serving university situated in Illinois’ largest city, UIC works closely with its partners in Illinois state government including Governor Bruce Rauner. UIC is represented in the Illinois General Assembly by Representative Arthur Turner, 9th District and Senator Patricia Van Pelt , 5th District. The UI System budget and higher education funding is a priority for our legislators.
Senator Dick Durbin, Senator Tammy Duckworth, and Congressman Danny Davis, Illinois 7th District represent UIC at the federal level. UIC works with these legislators to provide resources that advance research and scholarship.
- Building support for bills, amendments, and ordinances in the Illinois General Assembly, Chicago City Council, and Cook County Board of Commissioners
- Monitoring UI and UIC legislation in the Illinois General Assembly, Chicago City Council, and Cook County Board of Commissioners and providing updates to UIC leadership, colleges and units
- Building support and advocates for UIC budget-related line items in Springfield
- Engaging legislative caucuses within city, state, federal government
- Collaborating with government agencies on higher education initiatives
To connect with Government Relations, email email@example.com.
Marketing and Brand Management
Marketing and Brand Management serves the University of Illinois at Chicago by providing resources and guidance to help ensure that the institution’s marketing and communications initiatives are aligned with the university’s brand and identity. Maintaining consistency in messaging and design across the university reinforces the UIC brand overall.
- University licensing and filming programs
- Style guide including logos and templates for PPT and stationery
- Photo and video gallery
- Marketing consultation including development of marketing and communications plans, design of print collateral, development of messaging
- Campus banner reservations
- Branding and text treatment design
The Office of Public Affairs is an information source and public portal to the campus. Working with media in all its forms, the office broadens public awareness and understanding of UIC, its mission and the achievements of its faculty and students. In addition to outreach through the media, Public Affairs manages UIC’s own news and information properties including UIC today; UIC News, the award-winning print and online campus newspaper; audio and video productions; and social media channels.
- Disseminate news and information about UIC to internal and external stakeholders
- Provide strategic leadership for media and public relations
- Experts guide for the media
- Manage the university’s primary social media channels, including YouTube; Facebook; LinkedIn; Twitter; and the UIC Science blog
- Support units in cross-campus internal communications
- Guidance on photo and video policies
- Serve the campus administration and colleges in crisis and emergency communications